POSTED: April 25, 2011 | CATEGORY:
Just making sure that everyone knows we’ll be revealing the cover for THE DEATH CURE in three days. On Thursday, the 28th, at 7:00 am EST.
Any predictions on what the cover art may look like?
See you then……
EDIT: Oh, and also, Shannon Hale is hosting an event today where a bunch of authors share an embarrassing or humiliating experience at an event. CLICK HERE
I’ll never forget one of my very first booksignings. It was my first book, A Door in the Woods, which was done with a small indie publisher. I had grand expectations, of course. I mean, I was a freaking published AUTHOR now!
It was the first of many, many signings which taught me that I wasn’t all that, or even close to it. In fact, I was pretty much none of that. I sold one book. I basically accosted this person, begging them to take a look at my newest bestest book. It was a pity sale, no doubt.
One lady asked me where the bathroom is. Another asked me where the cookbooks are. One of the employees stood about five feet from me at one point and kept trying to sell ANOTHER AUTHOR’S BOOK to people as they walked by. I watched as many people studiously examined the store for a way to walk by me without possibility of being engaged in conversation. You would’ve thought I had leprosy.
I felt about 2 inches tall when it was over. And I swore to always buy a book if I ever saw someone else in the same predicament! Which is why I own some very…. odd books. But they’re signed!
See you Thursday…..
POSTED: April 7, 2011 | CATEGORY:
Hey guys! I have a few things to tell you about. You’ll wanna make sure you make it all the way to #10.
1. I’m very honored that my book, The Maze Runner, just won the 2011 Kentucky Bluegrass Award for grades 9-12. I especially love this because it was voted on by the actual students. That means more than anything. Thanks, Kentucky!
2. For all you movie and Hunger Games fans, I did a guest blog today for the website, wordandfilm.com. It’s my thoughts on five kinda obscure but awesome films you can watch while you wait: CLICK HERE
3. Looking for a good book while you wait, too? Check out the latest from my good friend Frank Cole. It’s called “The Guardians of the Hidden Scepter” and anyone who likes fantasy, adventure, and humor will enjoy it. CLICK HERE
4. I know this drives my readers who don’t live in Utah crazy, but I have another big event coming up here. (Don’t worry, I’ll be heading all over the country here and there throughout the year, especially when Book 3 comes out in October.) This one will be in Logan, UT, at the main library, at 6:00 pm, on April 22.
Oh, and it’s not just me. Some other little authors you may have heard of: Shannon Hale, Ally Condie, Brandon Mull, Jessica Day George and the illustrator Nathan Hale. Lots of NYT Bestselling authors on that there list. And one Newbery Honor winner. And one guy who’s owed me dinner for over a year (Initials BM, which also happens to stand for bowel movement).
5. Other upcoming events: TLA in Austin, TX (April 13-14), Signing at The King’s English in SLC (May 4, 5:00 pm), Storymakers Conference in SLC (May 6-7), Battle of the Books in St. Louis (May 10), and Book Expo America in NYC (May 24-26). I sure hope to see a lot of you!
6. I just noticed this a little after the fact, but I wanted to thank all the fans who voted for me as one of their favorite Random House authors. Quite the group! CLICK HERE
7. You guys really need to “Like” the official Facebook page for the Maze Runner trilogy. There is some really cool stuff on there. Check out the recent youtube videos with dreamcasts for the movies, done by Shay Cohen. CLICK HERE
. And friend me if you haven’t yet, too.
8. Following me on twitter yet? No?!?!? Do: CLICK HERE
9. You all need to see the movie, Insidious. Unless you’re scared of haunted houses, demons, or faces of creepy old ladies reflected back at you in the window. I loved the music in this film. I also really liked The Source Code and Limitless recently.
10. Announcement: we will officially be revealing the cover for The Death Cure (coming October 11) on Thursday, April 28th, first thing in the morning. That’s three weeks from today! You guys are gonna LOVE it.
Oh, and thanks again, Kentucky.
POSTED: March 29, 2011 | CATEGORY:
Calling all Duders in the Utah area: my good friend and fellow author, Carrie Ryan, will be in the Salt Lake City area today (Tues the 29th) and tomorrow (Wed the 30th). Please come out and meet her and get a signed copy of her newest book, THE DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES, the third in her series that began with THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH and THE DEAD TOSSED WAVES.
I happen to know a lot of you are already fans because I’ve talked about her book before and some have thanked me for the recommendation. So come out!!!! If you’re new to the series, I kind of envy you because you won’t have to wait a year between books. They are creeptastic and unputdownable.
Here is the schedule:
Tuesday the 29th
Salt Lake City Library
210 East 400 South
Salt Lake City
Wednesday the 30th
Barnes and Noble
Jordan Landing off Bangerter
I’ll be at one or both, so see you there!
In the meantime, check out Carrie’s blog, which has a cool little trailer for the new book and more info about the series:
EDIT: I forgot to mention, Carrie and I are both blessed to work with the same editor at Random House, the genius otherwise known as Krista Marino, and we also share the same agency, Dystel & Goderich, which has changed both of our lives. So come out and meet her!
EDIT #2: I also just received the cover for THE SCORCH TRIALS in Greece, which comes out there on April 4th. I LOVE it!!!! What do you think:
The Greek cover for THE MAZE RUNNER:
EDIT #3: I also have another good friend with a book out today. Dan Wells, I DON’T WANT TO KILL YOU. (No, that’s the name of his book, not me restraining myself.) You can see him tonight at Sam Weller’s bookstore at 6:00 pm in downtown SLC. It’s perfect, you can go there at 6 then head over to see Carrie at 7…
POSTED: March 17, 2011 | CATEGORY:
With basketball in the air, I figured it was high time I get back on here and blog. I don’t really have a whole lot to say because not much has happened other than working my hiney off to write and edit these here books.
I want to say that my heart goes out to Japan, especially any of my readers there. I actually lived there for awhile, and so this has been especially numbing and heartbreaking for me. I love the people there so much – they are kind and intelligent and grounded like no others I’ve met. And they’d do anything for those in need. Which is why I know they’ll pull through this.
As for me, like I said, I’m basically just in a time of working. I have a whole month before I travel again, when I’ll be heading out to Austin for the huge Texas Library Association’s conference. And then a few scattered things after that.
We’ve had some recent sales of rights in foreign lands, which always gets me really excited. The latest places soon to be subjected to the rigors of the Glade are:
I would make a joke about that last one, something about Dracula and Thomas kickin’ it with a Griever, but that’d be stupid and way too obvious. And an insult to our new friends in Romania, who I’m sure get very sick of that sort of thing.
Hmmm. What else has been happening. Not much.
Well, I did go on a cruise for the first time. And that was pretty cool. And I did have an incredible time at LTUE, where I got to hang out with many of you. And I did make a ridiculously silly appearance during Brandon Mull’s launch party presentation for BEYONDERS. And I did save this old lady from getting hit by the Oscar Meyer Wiener truck. Ok, that last one isn’t true.
Other than that, I’m just working, on lots of fun things. Stay tuned, because we ARE getting very close to revealing the cover for Book 3, THE DEATH CURE (release date, October 11). As well as some other announcements.
And a quick shout out for a friend: A very happy happy birthday on Saturday to Sam Van Hoose!!!!!
Talk again soon….
POSTED: February 15, 2011 | CATEGORY:
Before I tell you my detailed schedule this weekend (come see me!!!) at the symposium at BYU, I want to throw out something very random.
I really want to have dinner with Stephen King, my writing idol.
I know there has to be someone who can make this happen for me. Please help. I’m just throwing this out there for now, but I’m actually contemplating and scheming on what I can do to push it along. I’m thinking a charity may need to be involved. Stay tuned.
One of the shining moments of my life was when I had cupcakes and tea with Judy Blume. If you missed my embarrassing write-up on that, CLICK HERE
(where there is also a picture to prove I’m not lying). As you can clearly see, this experience can only be topped by dinner with Abraham Lincoln or Stephen King.
Anyway, here is my schedule. Don’t miss my reading from The Death Cure on Friday morning!!! All events are in the Harman Building over by the Marriott Center.
THURSDAY the 17th:
3:00 pm Panel: Slush Piles and what not to do when submitting your writing.
4:00 pm Panel: Dystopias and Utopias.
6:00 pm Panel: Marketing – what can you do?
FRIDAY the 18th:
10:00 am READING: First 2 chapters of The Death Cure.
12:00 pm Panel: What is an agent and what can they do for you?
2:00 pm Panel: Character’s morals/theology vs. the author’s.
6:00 pm Panel: How not to talk down to your YA audience.
SATURDAY the 19th:
11:00 am MAIN ADDRESS: That’s me, giving the main address. There will be a Top Ten list!!!
1:00 pm: Signing books in room 1188
2:00 pm: Signing books again in room 1188
4:00 pm: Why write about worlds that don’t actually exist?
7:00 pm: LTUE Banquet. (You MUST buy tickets to this before the actual conference. Even though the website says you can’t anymore, tickets WILL be available through tomorrow. CLICK HERE
to order them.)
I can’t wait to hang out with those who come! See ya soon….